You have a voice. I have a voice. We have
voices.
I can’t tell you when you lost yours or who you let take it. When you traded your fins for legs. I can’t
look at your life and pinpoint exact moments you began to lose it. Or abuse it? Sometimes
things happen quickly. Sometimes they happen over periods of time. All of a
sudden. Voice gone. Thoughts irrelevant. Opinions silenced. Shut your trap or else. One more word
and they won’t like you anymore. Be silent, be liked?
I can’t say when you lost it. I just know it
happened. Someone else’s voice loud like a megaphone and you turn your own volume down. Their voice so loud it still rings in your ears. Your voice so
quiet it’s deafening. Loud voices bleeding over loud voices and yours stuck on
mute. Never getting a chance to see if you still have it or not. Stop trying.
You open your mouth only to prompt more monologues from others, but never enough to recite yourself. You ask for more words from
other mouths while never daring to share anything of your own deeper than
surface level. But then again, they never ask your option or thoughts.
They want to hear their own voices more than they want to hear yours. “How was
your day?” never asked in return.
Their stories matter. Yours do not? False.
You still have a voice. But you have to use it.
If you don’t use it, you lose it.
Wise people use voices discerningly. Testing
their voice with trusted people. Wading into the waters of vulnerability and
trust. Crawling, walking, running. In that order. But always with purpose.
Wise people know how to listen and speak, but
that doesn’t mean they don’t have a voice. It just means they know how to use
it. They understand the balance of speaking and really listening. Ears and
heart open. To really listen it takes more than ears.
You have a voice to bless people. Rejoice in
who you were made to be. Discuss what you believe. Articulate your hurts. Speak
truth to life. Confront when wronged. Apologize when sorry. Ask for forgiveness. Whisper sweet
nothings. Sing heart songs. Say I love you. Praise wildly the Lord. Affirm
yourself. Affirm others. Lay out your intentions. Cheer on the passions inside.
You have a voice. I like your voice.
I like
your thoughts and opinions. Your songs and your sorrows. I like the way you
raise your voice when you are excited or laughing. New ideas surging through your mind and our your mouth. And your heart. I like listening to you sort
it all out. I like when you ask to hear mine. Your voice matters. It matters to
me. Use your voice to help me find mine.
MY voice matters. It matters to me. I will
use my voice. Change batteries in remote and take off mute. Stand firm in my
cadence. Stand firm in what I know and what I do not know. Use voice already
given. Learn how to use more voice as I grow. Strengthen my voice.
Practice your voice.
Use wisely the voice so uniquely given to you.
Use wisely the ears so perfectly crafted to hear. Listen to speak. Speak to
listen.
You have a voice.

Comments
Post a Comment