I want to write a follow up to my
last post, because that is the beauty of walking the journey with each other. I
love the quote, “We’re just walking each other home” because I find it to be so
very true. Isn’t that what we are doing? Walking each other, hand in hand,
through this bittersweet life.
I like reflecting on the before, during, and after. I can go back to times of the before and taste the honey, I can look at the during and taste the vinegar, and I can come to the after and be quenched by the water. It’s all necessary in the plot of this story. One cannot exist without the other.
I’ve been thinking a
lot the last few days, while in the process of reading “One Thousand Gifts” by
Ann Voskamp (do not pass go, do not collect $200. Just go buy this book right
now), about those little tin can lanterns you can make or buy. You know the
ones? The ones with the patterns made by tiny holes being punched into the tin.
I was thinking about joy, and I was thinking that my heart over the last few
months (years?) has been that tin can. Ridged and hard from life. From a life
of ingratitude. From so many things of my own doing and also many things that
were not my choice. But how joy is like just one tiny hole punched in the tin
of my heart one at a time. And when those holes are punched they emit enough
light to light up an entire room. The more holes, the more light. The more joy,
the more light.
Punch by punch the joy
begins to flow. Hope begins to rise. Ashes become beautiful.
That is the love of
Christ. That we would see all things in life, the bitter and the sweet, as his
love for us. It’s hard to see that when your heart is a tin can. So, I
understand the during. It can’t all be before and after, we have to walk
through.
So as I emerge into
the after, I want to encourage you that there IS an after. Nothing about my
circumstances have changed. The miracle I’ve been praying for? Hasn’t happened
yet (yet!). But nonetheless, the light is shining through. And when I walk
through the during again, because I will, I will remember that eventually the
holes will be punched out again. The light is still inside there.
I hope if you are in
“the during” you can find some comfort in knowing that that light still blazes
bright inside of you. It isn’t lost. It’s just covered. And sometimes it’s ok
for that to happen. And eventually, in the right time, punch by punch your
light will flood a room with brilliant light and beautiful design.

Comments
Post a Comment