But Jesus ....

My life has changed a bit over the past few months. In the most refreshing and unexpected ways possible. I had no idea even a month ago the path the Lord would lead me down. It’s been the most peaceful and refreshing season of my life. I planted my feet in Him and He directed me just as He said He would. I doubted and failed Him so much at times, but the beautiful thing is that He loved me through my doubts. He wanted me in my ugliest moments. He chose me even when I was undesirable. He had a grip on me that was forcing me into His perfect will and I am so grateful I allowed Him to do His good work.

Life changes get me to thinking about how differently I chose to live my life than a lot of people. I see it more evidently when I am in environments I don’t typically find myself in. New places and people shine a light on ourselves the way nothing else ever will. Sometimes old places and things do the same thing. 

Every day when new things arise, we are presented with choices to make and the right choices are easy to make when you are used to the choices, but when new things come up the decision can take a little more thought. It has been my greatest joy to have met a man who is as serious about making Godly decisions as I am. What I am finding is that navigating our way through choices is easy when the answer is always and collectively, “But, Jesus.” Honestly, what would be decisions for most folks are not even thoughts in our mind because of how the Lord has shaped our hearts. 

We as humans are presented with decisions on a second by second basis. Those decisions are not always life altering. They are sometimes so instinctual that you don’t even know you are making a decision about something. Others are life altering and make a bigger impact. Tomorrow we will make a big decision about who are next President will be. I almost didn’t vote at all because this election has been so ugly ...“but Jesus”. I believe He has given me the opportunity and the platform to use my voice. I could take the easy way out and not worry about standing in line to vote, but Jesus …

The election is just a tiny example of many many other decisions we make. I haven’t always thought this way. I haven’t always answered questions with the most powerful name of all names. But I have marinated in my life and the love of the Lord long enough to be able to be able to consult His plan and His ways above my own ways in every situation. And now that I have welcomed a new man into my life to see eye to eye with him on this is so wonderful and refreshing. We desire to live our lives above reproach. We desire to live our lives and make decisions that are not always popular or understood. We probably look lame and odd to most of the world because of our decisions, but Jesus.

We will be presented with decision and choices now and for the rest of our lives, but Jesus. There is no other answer. And how wonderful an answer to rest in and be proud of. Living life blameless and proud of who we are is a much greater reward than sorrow and regret. Find people to live life with that see things the way you do. Who love the Lord the way that you do. Do not settle for anything less. Trust me on this. What could be a struggle becomes a beautiful testimony of who the Lord is. Wait for it. It’s all so worth it.

So the next time you are faced with a decision that you don’t know how to answer. Plant your feet in the ground. Reach deep in your soul and say “But Jesus!” because there is no greater love or satisfaction than walking the narrow way He is leading you. I cannot promise many things in this life, but I can promise that Jesus’ way is the only way, the only truth, and the only life. Rejoice dear friends. Do not live in sorrow and regret. Live life well not because of what we can do but because Christ already did.



Comments