As of today I have lived in Charlotte exactly 592 days. And I have loved every single one of those days.
Choosing to move here and take my dream job has been, and will always be, one of the greatest decisions I've ever made in my life. The transition was flawless. 592 days later I'm still waiting for the "What have a done?!?" moment, but it hasn't come and I feel certain that it won't. This is my home. This is where I am supposed to be. The Lord directed me here specifically. I know that for sure.
It wasn't until this last week that I had a moment of total nostalgia for the friendships in my former life. I'm not saying I haven't missed my friends since moving because I have. I just hadn't had the pressing on my heart like I have this last week. I hadn't had the tears.
I'm in the throes of beginning to establish friendships here. I made some fast friends when I first moved, but life has taken some of those away from me for one reason or another and here I am meeting new people and trying to build a foundation with them. I forgot how hard this is. I had established 12 years of friendships in Nashville. When I met someone new they already knew someone I knew so there was credibility there. People already knew my reputation and my heart so I didn't have to do so much leg work. That isn't the case here.
No one really knows me.
I'm having to start from scratch here. I'm having to establish myself based on my words and actions on a daily basis. Heck, on a minute by minute basis. If I have a bad day and treat someone poorly I have to make sure they understand that isn't who I really am. If I send one too many text messages or communicate too often I have to make sure people understand I'm not desperate. It's tough because now I don't have anyone backing me up anymore. Until the foundation is established it all looks really ugly and messy. I look like a fool. Seriously. It probably looks like I'm trying to hard, but I'm just trying. It's the only way I know.
I'm REALLY particular about who I hang out with. I am the person who will actually says "no" to someone. I don't appease everyone. I'm picky. So if I choose to invest in you I've thought it out and prayed about it a good bit. I'm loyal. I'm kind. I'm encouraging and helpful. I'm honest. I'm transparent. I thrive most when people allow me into their lives to do these things WITH them. I love love. I love friendship. It's what I do. It's who I am.
So if you're reading this, and you're a new friend of mine in Charlotte. I'm thrilled that you've let me into your life in one way or another. Thank you. I'll be here when you need me. No matter the time of day or night. No matter the hurt or the celebration. I am a safe place. I will embrace you with nothing expected in return. I just ask that you hang with me through the messy beginning. Give me a little grace if you can.
To my friends (this includes my family) from the last 33 years. I love you. Dearly. All of you. You have made me who I am today. You have loved me in return and allowed me to grow and bloom. The foundation you laid in my life will never be broken. I will never take your friendships for granted. I adore all of you so very much!
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Choosing to move here and take my dream job has been, and will always be, one of the greatest decisions I've ever made in my life. The transition was flawless. 592 days later I'm still waiting for the "What have a done?!?" moment, but it hasn't come and I feel certain that it won't. This is my home. This is where I am supposed to be. The Lord directed me here specifically. I know that for sure.
It wasn't until this last week that I had a moment of total nostalgia for the friendships in my former life. I'm not saying I haven't missed my friends since moving because I have. I just hadn't had the pressing on my heart like I have this last week. I hadn't had the tears.
I'm in the throes of beginning to establish friendships here. I made some fast friends when I first moved, but life has taken some of those away from me for one reason or another and here I am meeting new people and trying to build a foundation with them. I forgot how hard this is. I had established 12 years of friendships in Nashville. When I met someone new they already knew someone I knew so there was credibility there. People already knew my reputation and my heart so I didn't have to do so much leg work. That isn't the case here.
No one really knows me.
I'm having to start from scratch here. I'm having to establish myself based on my words and actions on a daily basis. Heck, on a minute by minute basis. If I have a bad day and treat someone poorly I have to make sure they understand that isn't who I really am. If I send one too many text messages or communicate too often I have to make sure people understand I'm not desperate. It's tough because now I don't have anyone backing me up anymore. Until the foundation is established it all looks really ugly and messy. I look like a fool. Seriously. It probably looks like I'm trying to hard, but I'm just trying. It's the only way I know.
I'm REALLY particular about who I hang out with. I am the person who will actually says "no" to someone. I don't appease everyone. I'm picky. So if I choose to invest in you I've thought it out and prayed about it a good bit. I'm loyal. I'm kind. I'm encouraging and helpful. I'm honest. I'm transparent. I thrive most when people allow me into their lives to do these things WITH them. I love love. I love friendship. It's what I do. It's who I am.
So if you're reading this, and you're a new friend of mine in Charlotte. I'm thrilled that you've let me into your life in one way or another. Thank you. I'll be here when you need me. No matter the time of day or night. No matter the hurt or the celebration. I am a safe place. I will embrace you with nothing expected in return. I just ask that you hang with me through the messy beginning. Give me a little grace if you can.
To my friends (this includes my family) from the last 33 years. I love you. Dearly. All of you. You have made me who I am today. You have loved me in return and allowed me to grow and bloom. The foundation you laid in my life will never be broken. I will never take your friendships for granted. I adore all of you so very much!
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Comments
Post a Comment