Here's what I'm currently learning: Life is full of layers. Lots and lots of different layers. Some of the layers are good. Some of the layers are bad. But none of these layers define the entirety of your life. I can't say that enough.
Each season of your life looks different, and with each season comes a stripping of the old to reveal the new. These are the layers I'm speaking of.
Some of the layers come off on their own and you don't even know they were removed. You might just wake up one day and things are different. These layers are usually the good layers. Cause let's be honest, you don't typically pay all that much attention to all the good things, do you? It's the bad ones that get all the attention.
Some of them you peel away yourself happily. Like a good ole scab (gross but true). These are the things you're ready to shed and it doesn't take much effort. Bye bye old gross stuff! Good riddance. Don't rest in peace.
Other layers are harder to peel off. Even when you want them gone it still hurts! These are the things you know you have to let go of to move forward even if it isn't exactly what you would choose yourself.
Other layers consist of people that you need to get out of your life or feelings for people you need get over. Or forgiving other people. Double ouch! These layers always seem to be thicker and take longer to get through. Like years and years and years and years and .... you get the point!
Some layers have nothing to do with any other humans (This is the layer I'm on right now. You're so vain .... I bet you thought this blog was about you. HA!). Sometimes these layers are just matters of the heart. Sometimes they are the closeness you feel to the Lord or the way you feel about yourself. These layers SUCK! I mean it. These layers make you lay on the floor at night crying to no end. Because you can't call up the person you have the problem with and find a resolution; it all seems never ending. This is a layer I've been working out for awhile and it's starting to hurt worse the deeper I go. I'm hopeful that means I'm getting closer to revealing the newness underneath.
I say all of this because I feel like we've become a society where we have to present our happy face all of the time. We have to post funny things on Facebook or Twitter that scream, "Look at me! My life is awesome. More awesome that yours! I'm happy all of the time! Weeee!" When in reality we are all just broken people peeling away at our layers, and unfortunately we are all on different layers at different times. That isn't very convenient is it?
But mostly what I want to say again is that the individual layers don't define the entirety of your life! Just because one layer is yucky doesn't mean your whole life is yucky (I'm talking to myself here guys). When you step back and look at it as a whole it's a beautiful masterpiece and you should be commended on your bravery to peel the layers away and live a full life. And that, in my opinion, is more beautiful and more wonderful than any picture of your happy life on Instagram or any funny quote on Twitter.
Each season of your life looks different, and with each season comes a stripping of the old to reveal the new. These are the layers I'm speaking of.
Some of the layers come off on their own and you don't even know they were removed. You might just wake up one day and things are different. These layers are usually the good layers. Cause let's be honest, you don't typically pay all that much attention to all the good things, do you? It's the bad ones that get all the attention.
Some of them you peel away yourself happily. Like a good ole scab (gross but true). These are the things you're ready to shed and it doesn't take much effort. Bye bye old gross stuff! Good riddance. Don't rest in peace.
Other layers are harder to peel off. Even when you want them gone it still hurts! These are the things you know you have to let go of to move forward even if it isn't exactly what you would choose yourself.
Other layers consist of people that you need to get out of your life or feelings for people you need get over. Or forgiving other people. Double ouch! These layers always seem to be thicker and take longer to get through. Like years and years and years and years and .... you get the point!
Some layers have nothing to do with any other humans (This is the layer I'm on right now. You're so vain .... I bet you thought this blog was about you. HA!). Sometimes these layers are just matters of the heart. Sometimes they are the closeness you feel to the Lord or the way you feel about yourself. These layers SUCK! I mean it. These layers make you lay on the floor at night crying to no end. Because you can't call up the person you have the problem with and find a resolution; it all seems never ending. This is a layer I've been working out for awhile and it's starting to hurt worse the deeper I go. I'm hopeful that means I'm getting closer to revealing the newness underneath.
I say all of this because I feel like we've become a society where we have to present our happy face all of the time. We have to post funny things on Facebook or Twitter that scream, "Look at me! My life is awesome. More awesome that yours! I'm happy all of the time! Weeee!" When in reality we are all just broken people peeling away at our layers, and unfortunately we are all on different layers at different times. That isn't very convenient is it?
But mostly what I want to say again is that the individual layers don't define the entirety of your life! Just because one layer is yucky doesn't mean your whole life is yucky (I'm talking to myself here guys). When you step back and look at it as a whole it's a beautiful masterpiece and you should be commended on your bravery to peel the layers away and live a full life. And that, in my opinion, is more beautiful and more wonderful than any picture of your happy life on Instagram or any funny quote on Twitter.
Comments
Post a Comment