Taking Up Space

The thing is this … I matter. You matter. We all matter.

But sometimes it feels like we’re just taking up space.

Don’t you feel that way sometimes? Like it wouldn’t REALLY matter if we were here are not.
I’m not saying I don’t want to be here. Don’t hear that. I do. I want to be here. I’m just saying that sometimes I’m not sure that me being here is making a big difference.

I heard somewhere that my generation feels really entitled to be something. Like we feel like we deserve to be great and powerful and if we don’t get that we can’t handle it and we turn into crazy people who do weird and terrible things.

Wanting to be something and striving to be that is good and fine in moderation, but in reality – some of us aren’t going to be great and powerful. Some of us are going to be normal and ordinary. Some of us aren’t going to be on the face of a magazine or be the CEO of a company. Some of us will sit behind a desk 40+ hours a week just to make ends meet because life didn’t turn out like we dreamed when we were 15 (or 20 or 25 or 30). That’s just the honest truth.

I wonder what it would be like to really wrap our head around the fact that some of us aren’t going to be great? How is it that we are supposed to feel needed and desired in a generation where everyone wants great, but we aren’t great?


Rock, meet hard place.  

Comments