God Is Good

When I was in high school I couldn't wait to be older. I couldn't wait to get out of the moments I was living in and get to the real stuff. The good stuff. The time when I knew God would reveal the plan he had waiting for me. It was going to be all shiny and new and perfectly created for me. Just a few more years and I'd get to open that gift!

I couldn't wait because clearly the moments I was living were NOT what was planned. How could it be?

When I graduated from college and got a job I couldn't wait for what tomorrow was holding. I couldn't wait to meet my husband and have darling little children. Again, I knew God would reveal that plan to me at any moment. It wouldn't be long now .... just around the corner!

I couldn't wait because obviously the moments I was living in were NOT what was planned. None of the "desires of my heart" had been fulfilled. Tomorrow would be different and better.

One day a few months ago I woke up and thought to myself, "This is it. This IS what God has planned for me" and it made me think that all along ... every step of the way was what God had planned for me. I was wishing away the moments, waiting for something "better", while all along I was living in the most glorious moments of life.

I see a lot of things my friends say on Facebook and Twitter like, "Just bought a new house! God is so good!" or "Just booked a trip around the world with my 4 best friends! God is amazing!" or "Found out I don't have cancer!! God is good!" and it always makes me cringe a little because isn't God good ALL of the time. Isn't God good even when you live in a rental house? Isn't God still good when you and your friends can only afford to go McDonald's for ice cream? And isn't God perfectly and wonderfully good even when you get the news that yes, in fact, it is cancer?

Yes! God is good in those good times. He delights so much in these moments. Praise Him for these moments! But also remember that God is also so very good, even in the bad times. Rejoice over Him with singing in these moments too! Thank Him for both.

As I continue to realize that I am exactly where God wanted me to be at 30 years old, I find myself being so thankful for the place that I'm at. It doesn't all look like what I thought it would. I'm single, my parents have to help me pay my bills, I have extra fat on my hips I'd like to get rid of but can't, my friends don't always treat me the way I like to be treated, and sometimes I don't like my job. But guess what .... it's EXACTLY where I am supposed to be and you know what else ..... God is GOOD! In these moments God is good. God is always good!

I don't have to wait until tomorrow. Or until I'm 40. Today is exactly what I've been waiting for.

The next time something less than ideal happens in your life I dare you to say to yourself, "God is good in this very situation and in this very moment" and see how it changes everything.

Because it will .... it'll change everything. You won't be wishing for tomorrow anymore because you'll realize how precious right now is.

Comments