The Only Political Blog I'll Ever Write

This should hopefully be the only blog I ever write about politics. But I think if you'll keep reading you'll see it's a lot more than just about politics.

We elected a President yesterday. Through the beauty of democracy we got to go to the polls and vote for who we thought would be the best person for the job. Turns out the majority of the electoral vote went to the man who has held the office for the last 4 years.

My dad emailed me this morning about it and I sent him an email back that went a little something like this:

I went to bed last night with a heavy heart about it all ... mostly because it's sad to see someone (the candidate that didn't win) put so much effort into something and lose. But ... that's the way it goes.
 
I woke up this morning and read a lot of people's comments on Facebook about the election. I saw a lot of Christians with a doom and gloom outlook on it all. It made me really think about the Gospel and what the Lord commands us to do.
 
He commands us to not murder. To not lie. To not do all of those "big" things ... and Christians are good with those things. But what about not worrying (Phil 4:6), loving our neighbors (Mark 12:31), or being hopeful (Romans 12:12). I don't know about you but I don't just believe 1/2 of the Gospel. I believe 100% of the Gospel and therefore I am going to live my life that way. I'm going to be either hot or cold ... and not luke warm.
 
I am hopful for our future. I am hopeful that the President will do what he feels is best for our country. And in 4 more years we get to vote again ... it'll be here in no time.
I am certain that the Lord is doing His perfect will through this President and all that have been and are to come.
 
I saw a quote this morning that I liked. It said, "Disappointments reveal what kind of hope we have." So we as Christians are either going to reveal that our hope is in the Lord or in man. This will be a good sign for those around us, and to ourselves, as to where our heart is.
 
I for one am excited to show Christ to my friends through this. I believe these are the defining moments in our ministry. I believe those around me will see Christ more through the support (perhaps not agreement of, but simply just support) of what was decided last night than the objection of it.
4 years is nothing or 4 years can be something. One way or the other I believe we're going to be just fine. We are a blessed nation of blessed people. We are the UNITED States. I am not going to be one of the people who isn't united.
 
My prayers are for our country in good times and bad.
 
And so with that I just challenge all of us to be kind to one another. To unite with one another and to love each other whether we agree or not. There is a lot to be said for that.
 
It speaks more loudly than anything else ever will.

Hold strong to your own beliefs. Stand firm on your stance on life. It's ok to believe how you believe.

Comments