Would you believe that I didn’t know what DIY stood for until about a year ago? Seriously ... I’m 29 years old and I had no idea. But thanks to the DIY channel on TV, I now know that it stands for - Do It Yourself.
I decided to try a DIY project of my very own.
I have been in my house for almost 4 years now and the artwork I had over my bed was starting to bother me. It just wasn’t what I wanted anymore so I decided to change it. I saw a photo of something I wanted to try and over the weekend that is exactly what I did.
I went to my local thrift store (I didn’t want to. Thrift stores wear me out. Too much going on. Too many smells. Too many sounds.) and I found these 3 frames that I really liked. I wanted something chunky enough with interesting details. All 3 of these were less than $10 combined.
I brought them home and removed the mirrors and picture. I used my pliers to pull out those things that hold the mirror in place. I don’t know if they have a name but they are annoying. They do their job well ... it’s just when you want to get rid of them that they are a big ole pain. I imagined myself extracting teeth while pulling these little suckers out. It was quite satisfying actually.
After all the insides were removed I took the frames out into my garage (it was raining outside that day) and put them down on a garbage bag to protect my really awesome garage floor. Not really. It's terrible. But I didn't want to make it even more terrible.
I used this type of spray paint in an ivory color. It turned out really well. But you could use whatever your little heart desires.
I spray painted each side a couple of times. Letting the sides dry between coats. Getting in all the little nooks and crannies.
I actually let my frames stay in the garage overnight due to the fumes. I didn’t want my whole bedroom to smell my spray paint. I'm more of a fresh floral scent kind of girl.
Then I decided how I wanted to arrange then on the wall and put them up. That took longer than the whole project combined.
And here are the results! Before and After.
I decided to try a DIY project of my very own.
I have been in my house for almost 4 years now and the artwork I had over my bed was starting to bother me. It just wasn’t what I wanted anymore so I decided to change it. I saw a photo of something I wanted to try and over the weekend that is exactly what I did.
I went to my local thrift store (I didn’t want to. Thrift stores wear me out. Too much going on. Too many smells. Too many sounds.) and I found these 3 frames that I really liked. I wanted something chunky enough with interesting details. All 3 of these were less than $10 combined.
I brought them home and removed the mirrors and picture. I used my pliers to pull out those things that hold the mirror in place. I don’t know if they have a name but they are annoying. They do their job well ... it’s just when you want to get rid of them that they are a big ole pain. I imagined myself extracting teeth while pulling these little suckers out. It was quite satisfying actually.
After all the insides were removed I took the frames out into my garage (it was raining outside that day) and put them down on a garbage bag to protect my really awesome garage floor. Not really. It's terrible. But I didn't want to make it even more terrible.
I used this type of spray paint in an ivory color. It turned out really well. But you could use whatever your little heart desires.
I spray painted each side a couple of times. Letting the sides dry between coats. Getting in all the little nooks and crannies.
I actually let my frames stay in the garage overnight due to the fumes. I didn’t want my whole bedroom to smell my spray paint. I'm more of a fresh floral scent kind of girl.
Then I decided how I wanted to arrange then on the wall and put them up. That took longer than the whole project combined.
And here are the results! Before and After.
| Before |
| After |
I am pleased as punch.
nice.
ReplyDelete