there was a guy on american idol a few years ago named danny gokey. he has an inspiring story about overcoming tragedy, allowing the Lord to shine though him no matter what he does, and using his voice to touch lives as a country singer. i am blessed to actually know danny and be friends with him. and the story he is telling is something that i cannot keep to myself.
after his wife went to heaven very prematurely, danny decided to start an organization in her name. a place where her life and her love could live on, here on this earth, while she is worshipping Jesus in heaven. and that organization was named "sophia's heart".
someone was kind enough to give sophia's heart a building here in nashville. this building will house homeless family and will be a spot for a needy community to come in and learn and enjoy some amazing things like dance, fashion design, audio/video, singing ... and so on. this will also be a place where they will find hope ... where perhaps they will be able to see Jesus in someone's actions and love. this will be the place they have the opportunity to shine ... and shine brightly.
i've had the great honor to be able to volunteer a little bit of my time at sophia's heart and i can already tell you that i have found hope, for myself, inside those walls. i have found myself growing closer to my Father because of what is happening there.
i never had the privilege to meet sophia in person. i knew of her and i know her family very well and love them dearly, but never had the chance to give her a hug or shake her hand. but i want to tell you this ... i have seen the way danny lights up when he talks about her. i have seen the work he and his staff have put into the foundation built in her name. i have seen her sister margarita smile. i have seen friends and strangers volunteer their time, with already busy schedules, to help get the building ready for all that it will be. i can already see the smiling faces of the kids and families that will enter the building and find their hope there. i have seen and felt the way my heart feels after giving what little i can to help in this effort as well ... and so i believe ... i have seen sophia. and she is radiant.
it truly is one heart touching many ... and i feel blessed to be able to know that someone with such wonderful character will have a legacy that far outlasts all of us. sophia was kind enough and passionate enough to love with all of her heart ... and thus allowing others to love with the same vigor. i am going to do the best i can to honor her heart, her character and her legacy by loving the best way i can. by serving with all of my heart. and by loving God by loving others ... one heart at a time.
"and now these three remain: faith, hope and love. but the greatest of these is love."
- 1 corinthians 13:13
--------------
if you would like to know more about sophia's heart or would like to make a donation please visit their website for more information. there is a lot of support that is needed. please pray about being involved.
www.sophiasheart.org
after his wife went to heaven very prematurely, danny decided to start an organization in her name. a place where her life and her love could live on, here on this earth, while she is worshipping Jesus in heaven. and that organization was named "sophia's heart".
someone was kind enough to give sophia's heart a building here in nashville. this building will house homeless family and will be a spot for a needy community to come in and learn and enjoy some amazing things like dance, fashion design, audio/video, singing ... and so on. this will also be a place where they will find hope ... where perhaps they will be able to see Jesus in someone's actions and love. this will be the place they have the opportunity to shine ... and shine brightly.
i've had the great honor to be able to volunteer a little bit of my time at sophia's heart and i can already tell you that i have found hope, for myself, inside those walls. i have found myself growing closer to my Father because of what is happening there.
i never had the privilege to meet sophia in person. i knew of her and i know her family very well and love them dearly, but never had the chance to give her a hug or shake her hand. but i want to tell you this ... i have seen the way danny lights up when he talks about her. i have seen the work he and his staff have put into the foundation built in her name. i have seen her sister margarita smile. i have seen friends and strangers volunteer their time, with already busy schedules, to help get the building ready for all that it will be. i can already see the smiling faces of the kids and families that will enter the building and find their hope there. i have seen and felt the way my heart feels after giving what little i can to help in this effort as well ... and so i believe ... i have seen sophia. and she is radiant.
it truly is one heart touching many ... and i feel blessed to be able to know that someone with such wonderful character will have a legacy that far outlasts all of us. sophia was kind enough and passionate enough to love with all of her heart ... and thus allowing others to love with the same vigor. i am going to do the best i can to honor her heart, her character and her legacy by loving the best way i can. by serving with all of my heart. and by loving God by loving others ... one heart at a time.
"and now these three remain: faith, hope and love. but the greatest of these is love."
- 1 corinthians 13:13
--------------
if you would like to know more about sophia's heart or would like to make a donation please visit their website for more information. there is a lot of support that is needed. please pray about being involved.
www.sophiasheart.org
<3
ReplyDeleteMiss Krystal, Hi my name is Taylor and I am 9. A couple of months ago, twitter had you on my who to follow list and I asked my mom if I could follow you. I call you the lady with the beautiful smile. Last week I saw you tweet about working at SHF. I knew then why twitter had you on my list.I met Mr. Danny in Novemeber at one of his concerts. I went there to give him a painting and a story I wrote for him called "Sophias Heaven." It is about what I think heaven is like for Sophia.Mr. Danny told me he was going to hang it in the SHF office lobby. Maybe you could ask him to show you sometime. Mr. Danny has been sooooo kind to me. I have been raising money for SHF for the first giving contest. I am not doing it for prizes though. I have been very blest by mr. Danny. He always tells me what a great job I am doing and he even started to follow me on twitter. I just want to say that I really enjoy reading your posts and that I pray for you. This blog that you wrote is just so beautiful and honoring to Sophia and Mr. Danny. When Mr. Danny was in my town just before Christmas he took me and my mom to dessert and what is funny is after that I told my mom that the things I would remember most about that night was that I could see Jesus in Mr. Dannys eyes and that He just glows when he talks about Sophia. It is amazing that you said the same thing in your blog. I decided to put some of my fundraising money on Mr. Dannys FG page and that is what I wrote to him. You should check it out. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that you are a very talented writer and what you wrote blest me. i wish people would stop being so mean spirited to Mr. Danny. If they only knew just how kind and wonderful he was. I hope you don't mind that I wrote you. Thank you and I hope you have a great night. Oh, by the way I am @toodles4ever on twitter.
ReplyDeleteKrystal, thank you for the beautiful blog. As a volunteer for Sophias Heart, I love how you have found the true meaning behind their efforts. They are doing amazing things in Nashville and Milwaukee and I hope Sophias Heart will continue to grow and receive the attention it deserves.
ReplyDeleteAnyone who is interested , please visit the website and see what Sophias Heart is doing!
www.sophiasheart.org
Thanks again,
Pam
Krystal, what beautiful words and perfect description of what SHF is with Danny leading the way!
ReplyDeleteYou are a talented writter I hope you continue. We are all so blessed.
I think you described this foundation beautifully. I will be relocating to the Nashville area in a couple of months and can't wait to volunteer!
ReplyDeleteI actually wrote an entry about SHF on my blog too! Check it out if you have time :)
Ashley
One heart at a time..that's right. I love this.
ReplyDelete