Spring was budding on a beautiful April day when my friend Ellie and I decided to go to Cracker Barrel for a good country breakfast for supper. I have always been one to enjoy Cracker Barrel. I like the smell and the atmosphere of it all. I just feel comfortable there. There food is great too.
Ellie and I had been discussing the woes of being "almost 30" and single. We were talking about the kind of guys who might ask you out that are themselves over 30 and single. Some of them are, well how do I say this ... not our type. I will leave it at that. We chatted about this for almost the entire meal. Just agreeing with each other and understanding we had the same point of view.
We got up and walked into the store to pay our bills. We both paid and walked towards the door. We both had our hand on the door when an older man approached us. He was rather short for a guy. Probably in his middle to late 40's. He had dark hair with grey in it and a mustache. He was wearing a t-shirt under a denim long sleeve shirt that was unbuttoned. Old man jeans and sneakers.
As he approaches Ellie and I both are thinking he is going to ask us for directions. He begins to speak to me, "Excuse me. I hate to bother you but I wanted to tell you that I noticed you the whole time you were eating dinner and you have the most beautiful smile I have ever seen in my life." At this time I was thinking to myself, "What a sweet old man. What a wonderful compliment. My parents are always telling me that, but for someone else to say it is so nice. I bet his wife is going to come around the corner holding a porcelain duck she bought in the store and we will go out merry way". So I said to him, "Well thank you very much."
I put my hand back on the door to leave and he begins to talk again. He said, "And as we do these days, I noticed that you didn't have a ring on your finger and I was wondering what your status was".
WOAH! WHAT? WAIT! I couldn't think straight. Everything had slowed down. I'm 25. He was at least 45. He wanted to know WHAT? Was I getting hit on in Cracker Barrel by an old man? I had to think quick even though time was standing still. I couldn't see Ellie's face but I knew her wheels were turning trying to figure out how to get me out of this.
All I knew to say was, "I'm so sorry, but I'm seeing someone". So that is what I said. A LIE. A full blown lie. But what was I to say? I was shocked! Had this really happened to me? We were not downtown at a bar. We were not even in a restaurant with a bar. We were in the Old Country Store at Cracker Barrel. I apologized to Ellie after we left for lying. She said she was going to lie for me if I hadn't done so myself. Such a great friend!
Ellie politely said, "Thanks anyways" to the man and we walked away. I didn't look at Ellie when we were walking to my car. All I said was "SHUT UP! Did that just happen to me?" We were just talking about those kinds of guys and then a MAN like that asked me if I was seeing anyone??? Did he think I was going to say "Actually I'm single and I'd love to give you my number! You are almost my dad's age, but I think it will be ok."
Do I look 40? No. I don't even look 30. What was he thinking?
I honestly feel sorry for that man. Poor guy.
Ellie and I had been discussing the woes of being "almost 30" and single. We were talking about the kind of guys who might ask you out that are themselves over 30 and single. Some of them are, well how do I say this ... not our type. I will leave it at that. We chatted about this for almost the entire meal. Just agreeing with each other and understanding we had the same point of view.
We got up and walked into the store to pay our bills. We both paid and walked towards the door. We both had our hand on the door when an older man approached us. He was rather short for a guy. Probably in his middle to late 40's. He had dark hair with grey in it and a mustache. He was wearing a t-shirt under a denim long sleeve shirt that was unbuttoned. Old man jeans and sneakers.
As he approaches Ellie and I both are thinking he is going to ask us for directions. He begins to speak to me, "Excuse me. I hate to bother you but I wanted to tell you that I noticed you the whole time you were eating dinner and you have the most beautiful smile I have ever seen in my life." At this time I was thinking to myself, "What a sweet old man. What a wonderful compliment. My parents are always telling me that, but for someone else to say it is so nice. I bet his wife is going to come around the corner holding a porcelain duck she bought in the store and we will go out merry way". So I said to him, "Well thank you very much."
I put my hand back on the door to leave and he begins to talk again. He said, "And as we do these days, I noticed that you didn't have a ring on your finger and I was wondering what your status was".
WOAH! WHAT? WAIT! I couldn't think straight. Everything had slowed down. I'm 25. He was at least 45. He wanted to know WHAT? Was I getting hit on in Cracker Barrel by an old man? I had to think quick even though time was standing still. I couldn't see Ellie's face but I knew her wheels were turning trying to figure out how to get me out of this.
All I knew to say was, "I'm so sorry, but I'm seeing someone". So that is what I said. A LIE. A full blown lie. But what was I to say? I was shocked! Had this really happened to me? We were not downtown at a bar. We were not even in a restaurant with a bar. We were in the Old Country Store at Cracker Barrel. I apologized to Ellie after we left for lying. She said she was going to lie for me if I hadn't done so myself. Such a great friend!
Ellie politely said, "Thanks anyways" to the man and we walked away. I didn't look at Ellie when we were walking to my car. All I said was "SHUT UP! Did that just happen to me?" We were just talking about those kinds of guys and then a MAN like that asked me if I was seeing anyone??? Did he think I was going to say "Actually I'm single and I'd love to give you my number! You are almost my dad's age, but I think it will be ok."
Do I look 40? No. I don't even look 30. What was he thinking?
I honestly feel sorry for that man. Poor guy.
you already told me that story, but i am still in tears laughing about this!
ReplyDeleteOH
ReplyDeleteMY
GOSH
i had a similar experience recently (not QUITE so severe though)...we should compare stories one day...i bet we'd have a lot in common. haha
what a good one. you'll be telling that one to your kids. haha
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Krystal, oh that I could have been with you to see the look on your face. That is solid GOLD.
ReplyDeleteOh no!
ReplyDeleteThat is really funny.
I laughed out loud.
That is fabulous.
I don't know what's worse: the fact that he was sporting a mustache or that he was wearing an unbuttoned denim shirt. AGH! Oh, and I particularly enjoyed the visual of the wife coming around the corner with a porcelain duck. That is a token sales item at every Cracker Barrel.
ReplyDeleteI loved the accurate play by play. I could actually here the fire cracklin and smell the country ham.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!!
"the woes of being 'almost 30' and single" - what? when did 25 become 'almost 30'? your blog is called "my life has just begun." how can you talk like you are so old? we are still young, right?
ReplyDeleteseriously, i have enjoyed reading what you are up to these days. congrats on the half marathon. elizabeth has been trying to get me to run, but i can't even go a mile. :)
you should check out our blog if you get a second in your busy day of being hit on by old men - jswagner.blogspot.com.
jon <><